|Real name:||Jennifer Emily Quantum|
|First Appearance:||The Authority #13 (May, 2000)|
|Created by:|| Mark Millar|
Formerly The Authority
Jenny Quantum was born January 1, 2000 in Singapore, during the death of Jenny Sparks, where her birth mother was killed by super villains attempting to kidnap her and shape the coming century. Her biological father’s identity and whereabouts are unknown. She was rescued and cared for by The Authority and later adopted by Apollo and Midnighter shortly after their marriage. She is the current leader of superhero team, The Authority. Jenny was first named when she was kidnapped by the superteam known as the Americans(though a baby shown when Jenny Sparks died at the turn of the century is inferred to be her). Quantum is the corporeal spirit of the 21st century, and the youngest known Century Baby, as well as the reincarnation of the Spirit of the 20th Century, Jenny Sparks. Quantum forced herself to age several years into her teens so that she could better fight the threat of Henry Bendix and his evil group. While fighting Bendix, Jenny was able to free the current Doctor, Habib Bin Hassan, and enlist him in the fight against Bendix.
When Captain Atom was trapped in the Wildstorm Universe, he accidentally killed Jenny Quantum after she'd tried to help him. This event, like so much else, was overwritten when Nikola Hanssen, the new Void, took control of her powers. In the Post-WorldStorm Universe, Jenny Quantum, now renamed as Jenny Quarx, is the leader of the new Authority, which also appears to have the same line-up as the previous version. Quantum/Quarx is wearing a t-shirt with the Singaporean flag, in a manner reminiscent of Jenny Sparks' Union Jack t-shirts.
Number of The Beast and World's EndEdit
With the destruction of the earth heralded a resurrected John Cumberland (The High) of The Changers, Jenny sacrificed herself by using her body as a containment device to prevent the Carrier's engine, a caged miniature universe, from overwriting and destroying the universe when the damaged Carrier crashed to earth's London, England. Before absorbing the universe she kissed goodbye to The Doctor, telling him that should she return he should find her and tell her how it all turned out. What happened to Jenny after this is unknown as of yet.
After The Event of Flashpoint, Jennifer Emily Quantum is 11 years old and a member of a new version of Stormwatch. This version is a super-secret organization that researches and defeats alien threats to Earth. Jenny Q. is currently being mentored by Adam One. On the team's first mission in the new reality, she accompanies the Engineer to the moon to investigate Harry Tanner's disappearance while confronting the Scourge of Worlds. After finding Tanner, they return to Earth to protect it from the meteorite entities the Scourge starts bombarding it with. One of them, supposedly containing a lost city within it, acquires sentience, and despite the warnings of Midnighter Jenny and the rest of the team are absorbed into it. After Midnighter gets the Projectionist to beam concentrated sunlight to Apollo, he is able to fly through the antibody and free Jenny and the rest of the Stormwatch team. Later, when the lost city of Alba Umbra arises from the ground after being awakened by Hawksmoor, Jenny uses her powers to transmute the rampaging antibody into glass. Upon returning to the Eye and meeting a representative of the Shadow Cabinet, a bit of Jenny's past is revealed: she is the daughter of a high-ranking military general who believes she was killed in a terrorist attack years ago. When the Eye is blown up by Harry Tanner, Jenny quickly creates a force-field to save the team from the conditions of hyperspace while Jack and the Engineer manage to persuade the Daemonite program that runs the Eye to reform the structure. Since Adam had been taken away by the Shadow Lords and Projectionist had been kidnapped by Tanner, the team meets to elect a new leader, deciding on Angie by unanimous consensus. The Engineer takes up the position of team leader, but mentions that this is a temporary situation until Jenny comes of age and assumes the mantle from her as all Century Babies before her have done.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Spirit of The 21st Century: She was born "with the century" - on the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve of 2000. Normally as a Century Baby grows they displayed certain superhuman abilities and skills, as well as immortality (not aging beyond her 20's). In Jenny's case she displayed her powers a little after birth, whereas her previous incarnations only developed their abilities at 19. She also aged herself using her own powers to some resembling a 18 year old. As with all Century Babies, it has been theorized that they act as an immune system for the planet; her very existence protecting Earth. As such she supposedly represents an aspect of the century into which she is born.
- Quantum Reality Manipulation: Jenny has the power to manipulate reality at the quantum level allowing her to achieve anything she can conceive of at the quantum molecular level. Being the newest century's Spirit, Jenny has the ability to manipulate the laws of quantum dynamics, which allows her to create pocket universes (where the previous "Jennys" currently reside), manipulate ambient energies, and accelerate her own age. Her father Apollo once described her as having the ability to do "basically anything".
- Dimensional Manipulation: Jenny has displayed the ability to summon alternate reality versions of herself from throughout the multiverse to aid her in conflicts. She can create imaginary universes at will, through this ability she created the universe known as Infinite City.
- Energy Projection: As a newborn she produced an energy blast of sufficient strength to disintegrate the legs of a giant who was attempting to kill her.
- Force Field
- Immortality: She has stopped aging at nineteen and will most likely remain this way until her death. She is assumed to have at least a 100 year lifespan, not aging anymore at adulthood. Theoretically, she will live on through the next Spirit of the 21st Century.
- Probability Manipulation
- Teleportation: She has the ability to teleport between points on Earth and also other dimensions.
- Coming Soon
- Telepathic Intrusion: Telepathy is her only known true weakness, due to her being weak at blocking mind control.
- Coming Soon
- Her First Official Appearance was in The Authority #12 (April, 2000), by Writer Warren Ellis and Artist Bryan Hitch however it was at the end of the Issue and it was more of a Cameo Appearance.
- Her First Official Appearance as a teenager was in The Authority: Revolution #7 (June 2005), by Writer Ed Brubaker and Artist Dustin Nguyen.
- Adam One stated that Jenny is among his top 18 Favorite Century Babies that he has personally mentored.
- Jenny is the adopted daughter of Apollo and The Midnighter.
- Jenny was born with a twin sister Jenny Fractal who was brought up as a psychotic sociopath by the Chinese government.
- Jenny went one-on-one with her twin sister Jenny Fractal at the age of 5 and died but her consciousness and spirit were saved by the doctor and she took her sisters body when the Midnighter was sent back in time to their birth and killed Jenny Fractal in her sleep as a baby.
- Jenney was raised by Apollo and The Midnighter and though she was pretty much sheltered and loved. She has said she gained her skills by being raised by Gods and Monsters (respectively).
- Jenny is actually 8-years old but has accelerated her age to that of a 14-year old.
- Jenny Quantum's lineage extends to the earliest accounts of human history, which include Jenny Stone and Jenny Fire, the first two "Century Spirits". Her direct ancestors before Jenny Sparks are Jenny Steam, Jenny Revolution, Jenny Plague and Jenny Inquisition.
- It has been suggested that, like Jenny Sparks, Jenny Quantum and the human race are linked for the current century and in Jenny Quantum's case, until the end of 2099. Meaning during a great depression, Jenny would be in a state of personal depression, though it is unknown if one causes the other or how. It has also been theorized that if she were raised with, for example, Nazi beliefs then humanity would fall under similar philosophies, though this has yet to be determined.
In Other MediaEdit
- Coming Soon